Saturday, January 4, 2014

Leaving 13 Behind


Leaving 13 Behind

 

 

Today is Tuesday December 31, 2013. I am taking a rest day from running and working out. Last week, I rested on Christmas day, so this is a good day to take a break. Except for the 100 pushups I have been doing the last 30 days. I saw this 30 day challenge, and I thought it would be an easy way to build upper body strength. Well, it is not physically hard, you can do them at any time throughout the day, in any combinations of sets. Doing them all at once (4 sets of 25) is pretty hard if you try to get them done in 5-10 minutes. I have done that, but if I am doing a long run or a hard bike workout that same day, I space it out.  Most days, I will do 20-35 first thing in the morning, and do and then more sets throughout the day. I really like to get them done before dinner, because I don’t like to exercise on a full stomach. Doing them day after day has been hard, especially with the holidays, and a few days I had a cold. Not sure if the results are visible, but I did progress from a max set of 25 to a max set of 50, and for functional strength, I have felt stronger.  I am going to keep doing the pushups, maybe not 100 (50-100) a day, and maybe not every day (5-6 days per week), but I like the habit it has formed. Laura has been doing them too. She is pretty diligent. She has also done 100 sit-ups, maybe to make up for doing modified ‘girl pushups’ on her knees, or maybe just to work her core.

Yesterday, John met me at our local high school (LincolnWay East) to do speed work on the indoor track.  The workout was 4x800 with 400m rest intervals.  We warmed up for a mile, and then started our watches.  We adjusted the intervals to fit the distance of the track (8 laps per mile in the outside lane).   The first lap was ahead of pace – John’s pace is faster than me, but I actually was at his pace, and he was a few seconds faster than me).  We paid for our enthusiasm later, and John ended up a second off his pace, and I was 2 seconds behind mine.  One thing I noticed was that the gap between us widened the most on the turns, so either John sped up, or I slowed down, or some combination of the two.  Overall, it was a good workout – we were a little slow, but there are 16 turns per half mile on an indoor track.  Plus, I might have had an error in the conversion from 800m to half mile, so I will have to check my calculations.

Happy New Year everyone! 

Last night was pretty low-key for the Nolan’s. We had dinner at a restaurant in the neighboring town, Tinley Park.  Tin Fish has been very nice the 4-5 times we have been there, and this carried on the trend.  We split a crab-stuffed avocado for a starter/salad.  I had grouper, and my wife Laura had a Hawaiian fish, which we had not encountered when we were in Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary in October.  We ordered Belgian Chocolate Mousse to-go, and went home to watch a movie or 2 en-route to midnight.  When we took a break from our movie, we opened the carryout containers, with forks and appetites ready – and saw two meticulously prepared – Crabmeat Stuffed Avocados.  Talk about a Buzzkill!!    I called the restaurant with a few choice words, and had them remove the charge for the desserts.  The salad was very good, we love crabmeat, avocado, but not for dessert.  Laura had a bad cold, so we went to bed after the New York New Year’s Eve celebration. 

 I celebrated New Year’s Day by going to a CompuTrainer session, run by our friend, and local Ironman Legend /Biking guru – Bernie Conway.  There were 7 of us there to help him beta test his setup for group cycling sessions at his OneFortyPointSix Cyling Lab.  I brought the mixing for mimosas, and a few of us toasted after a invigorating hour-long session of long and short intervals.   Bernie announced he would be holding a six-week session, so we are going to sign up for that.

We had a big snow on New Years’ Day, so our office gave the option to work at home.  Since I did not have to commute, this gave me time to run a longer tempo run.  There was still snow on the street, so I used my YakTrax.  I also had ski goggles I borrowed from a friend, since the wind-chill was near zero.  After a 1 mile warmup, I headed on my four mile route, which I planned to extend with a half-mile out and back. I was warm enough with 3 shirt layers, plus a jacket, and my new running mittens.  My first couple of miles were at a good pace.  Then I realized that I missed the street for my out and back.  I went on another street that was snowier, and maybe that started to slow me down.  I finished right in front of my house, and cooled down with a lap around the block.  I ended up with a 7:54 pace, six seconds fatser than my plan calls for, but I really slowed down in miles 3-4.

We had a good snowfall on the first 2 days of the year.  On Friday, the snow stopped – but in some places around the Chicago area, they issued Blizzard Warnings, even though there was not going to be any snow falling.  The definition of a blizzard is blowing snow with wind above a certain speed.  The cold temperatures produced a really dry, fine snow, which is easily blown around in the 25-35 mph winds they predicted.  When I got home from work, I could see that the streets had been plowed and salted, so there should be good footing for a Saturday long run.  In spots where there were big open fields to the south, the strong south wind had blown snow onto the streets, but it only affected 1-2 blocks on my 8 mile running route.

John got to my house a little after 8 o’clock. We were starting late to let the bind die down, and give plows a chance to get out.  I had already walked my dog around the block, and I could see our neighborhood streets had a lot of drifted snow than they did the night before.  In fact, instead of running the long way around my block, I planned for us to run towards the closer corner to the east, which was clearer, and would cut the 7.85 mile loop closer to 7.5 miles, so running 2 loops would give us the 15 miles for week 2 of the 16 week F.I.R.S.T.  marathon training plan. 

I had forgotten to check my pace for this run, so I started thinking it should be 8:30, because last week was13 miles @ 8:45 min/mile.  But most training plans don’t increase distance and speed up pace at the same time, so it turns out this week was STILL 8:45.  I knew John’s pace was faster, so I figured we would split the difference.  

Our first mile hit a more and more snowy stretches (last night they were ‘spots’ of 10-20 feet, now they were long stretches of 100-500 feet where ¾ to all the street was covered.  Still, we did manage about 8:15.   We crossed a busy street (Townline Road), and entered a newer subdivision, which meant fewer trees, more open lots and more drifted snow.  At about mile 1.5, we get a couple of sharp turns on a steep downhill, and we actually had to wathc our footing.  Then we start what my wife, Laura calls ‘The Never-ending Hill’  It is close to half a mile, and has a gradual incline, with a few plateaus, and ends with a steep ascent and 2 quick turns to cross a busy street (Francis Road).  Usually, John and I have no problem with this hill because it is early on the route.  But today, we were running uphill, into a strong wind, with powdery, loose snow underneath, and no Yak-Trax.  We must have looked like Shaggy and Scooby running away from some ghosts/thugs.

The next leg of our run was every bit as barren and windswept, but it wasn’t uphill, and since the street went straight south, there were dry spots in between the drifts.  After 3 miles, we hit a very wooded neighborhood, and did not mind the hills that came with it.  At 4 miles, we were at the far SW corner of the course, and had the wind mainly at our back all the way back.  Now we had crossed fully from my town of Mokena into the neighboring town of New Lenox.   The streets were well-plowed and it seemed like they were freshly salted, even areas that had the worst drifts the night before.  With the wind and better footing, we picked up our pace.  We decided that if we hit more snowy streets, we would just double back on the 2+ miles of good roads we had just run.  The streets got a little snowier as we looped back into Mokena, but the rising sun and Saturday morning traffic had dispersed some of the snow, so it was much more bearable than the first part of the route.  

The last ¾ mile before my house is a stretch where we say we’re ‘heading for the barn’, and tend to speed up a bit.  Today, with a tailwind, and the relief at clearer streets, I must have pushing it.  But we were only halfway done with our run, and John reminded me “Is this how fast you want to go?”  So, I reined in a little bit, and we got to my garage.

I had left our water and Gatorade inside the garage, so it would not freeze.   So I hydrated and had a Gu (new favorite flavor - Salted Caramel!) while John went in my house to use the bathroom.  My shirts were feeling soaked, so I took off my jacket and 3 shirts, and I put on 2 dry shirts, and a dry jacket.

We had 7.something miles, so decided to double back on the route until we hit 3.75-4 miles, and then turnaround.   The few times we have run the route in this direction, people always remark that it seems harder.   The first part “heading out of the barn” was harder, because we were now running up a slight quarter mile incline that usually helps with its downhill grade when we finish the route; plus we were running directly into the south wind/SW wind, as we would for the next 3 miles.  When we turned around, we had a long hill ahead of us, but no wind, and sure footing, and only 3-something miles to go.  This time, when were here heading for the barn (for real), my legs were not as springy, and it was the usual setting where John pulls ahead of me.  I made up some ground and stayed on his shoulder a while longer, and when we hit 15 miles, I just pulled up and jogged. 

I had not thought about it before, but this was the first time I ran more than 13 miles in almost 20 months.  I had run Boston in April of 2012 (my 13th one), and then did a half-Ironman that summer.   Then I had surgery in December of 2012, and was rehabbing my knee at this time a year ago.  Last summer was another half-Ironman, so I did not go past 13 miles all year.  So, in the first week after 2013, the year after I ran my 13th marathon, I got back above 13 miles.

It’s good to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?