Monday, August 12, 2013

2013 Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Race Report

Half-IM # 2: Regression Analysis
As someone who analyzes data for a living, I like repeatable conditions.  So if I like a race the first time, I will probably go back to it and see how I do.  This year's conditions at Steelhead were fairly comparable to last year when I did my first half-Ironman (given the possibilities of extreme heat and rough water).
The water was rougher than last year, but not terrible like Racine this year or 2-3 years ago at Steelhead. The temperature was cooler, less humid (low 54/hi 70. Winds 9 mph NNE).  There was a stronger wind than last year, but still manageable. 

Swim: Straight and Wavy
I saw Chris Bannon on the beach, and we wished each other luck – I moved back in the wave.  I waded past the breaking waves before diving over one.   In my wave in the swim start, there was a lot of confusion and disorientation. One woman called out “Where the F*#K am I ?!”  The waves were probably 1-2 feet, but what was really tough for me was that the sun was directly ahead of us, low in the sky – so when I tried to sight the first 8 yellow buoys – I was looking into a bright yellow sky, I ended up vertical in the water a lot while I craned my neck.  (It was much cloudier at the beginning of last year’s race, so we did not have that glare.) I have slightly smoked goggles, but I think now I will get some darker tinted/mirrored ones.   I never panicked, but I considered grabbing on to one of the first few buoys while I got my bearings.   I have gotten in 6-7 open water swims at Ohio Street Beach this year, but it was only choppy one of those times, and I never went past the bath-like waters of the breakwall to experience the “washing machine” effect closer to Oak Street Beach.  Around the 3rd or 4th buoy, I knew I could make it, but it was going to be more work than last year’s mirror flat water.  I actually thought it was a good learning experience, because I have seen pretty rough water from shore in races with storms (Rockman  ’08)  and last year at Ironman Florida, so I would rather have intermediate level waves before jumping into the Black Diamond/Yellow Flag kind.  I actually did much better swimming straight this year.  Last year, on every buoy but two, I was veering far to the inside and had to radically correct course the last 25 yards.  This year, I stayed on the outside of every buoy!   Since I was getting passed by swimmers in later waves, I had a good guide as where to swim, so I did not sight as much, and avoided staring into the sun.   They had all the buoys numbered (8 yellow/8 red), so that was helpful.  When we got to the turn buoy for the beach, you could body surf in on the waves, and I went a little off course.  When I stood up in the water, I was ready to RUN to transition.  My bike was at the far end, so I wanted to get through the soft sand quick.  But I did go off course a bit to kiss Laura as she was taking my picture. She is used getting kissed on the run from my marathons, but this time it was wetter.  Later she told me that someone asked if she knew me. 
Swim Time: 52:45 (2012 – 49:18).

T1:  Wardrobe Malfunction
No wetsuit strippers at Steelhead, so I found an open spot in transition  and peeled mine off.  I was determined to do better than the double digit T1 I had last year.   I had half a Stinger waffle, washed off my feet, and went to the nearby sunscreen slopping station for cursory coverage.  Last year I wanted a short sleeve bike jersey and arm sleeves to cover my fair Irish skin as much as possible, so I had to put that on in T1, and change to a run shirt in T2.  This year, I wore a sleeveless triathlon shirt from start to finish, so that cut down the wardrobe changes, but left me with odd tan/burn lines: 
T1: 7:12 (2012 – 11:49)

Bike: Resistance is Futile
The bike course on Steelhead winds around a lot before getting you on a long, gradual uphill straightaway on Blue Star Highway along the lake going north.  People get bunched up a lot, and I don’t mind taking the turns (relatively) fast, because I figure that will slow me down for a while.  I rode the bike course for practice a few weeks before Steelhead last year, so this would be the third time I have ridden it, and I like to know what is coming next, so that gave me even more of a comfort level this year.  
The winds were barely 10 mph, but since they were from the NNE, we rode into them most of the way from on the first half of the course.    I had set my watch to beep every 7 and a half minutes, to remind me to eat and drink.  I had Gus, stingers waffles, red licorice, and I grabbed a Bonk Bar from the last Bike Aid Station.  Those are good!  However, the Ironman Perform that PowerBar makes for Ironman events did not go down easy.  I finished my own bottle of Gatorade, and I almost finished one of the Performs on the course.  Last year they gave us Gatorade, and I did not think to look at what they provided to try it ahead of time.  I should go the tablet route for electrolytes to make my own to avoid that bad taste in my mouth again. 

The Steelhead course is interesting, there are rolling hills, and a good shoulder to ride on Blue Star Highway.  At that time of day, there actually was a lot of shade on the course.  There are a few miles of a rough surface, but most of the roads are good.   There is one spot with two rumble-strips that they give confusing directions for – you only should cross the middle line to avoid it if a volunteer is there to let you know there is no oncoming traffic.  Last year, even though other people were riding in the oncoming lane, I did not want to get a penalty, so I headed for shoulder, but found out the rumble strip went all the way to the grass.  This year, they had the rumble strips painted better, and I could see  that they ended 6 inches before the middle line – and with skinny tires, that’s all I need – so I avoided the strip, and did not cross the yellow line.   
I think I keep a pretty even effort on the bike, winds and hills will slow me down for a while.  I had some good 20+ miles, but also some close to 17.    Usually I end up laying leapfrog with a half-dozen riders most of the way – and get passed by a lot in the later waves.    But, I can get a good sprint for a pass when I need  to  - which I will do when I want to avoid drafting.   About 30 miles into the bike, I had just passed a woman, when the course marshal rode up on the back of the motorcycle.  She was kind of smirking looking at me while she was looking at my bike tags, and writing down in her book.  She did not say anything, or show me a red or yellow card, and I asked “What did I do?”  The motorcycle driver slowed down to look at riders behind me, and the marshal kept writing numbers down.  I have never seen anyone get a penalty, so I was not sure if they always explicitly told you right away,  but I coasted/slowed down for a half a minute, but then thought – if they want to catch up they can.  I tried not to let it get to me, but I thought maybe there was a chance they just put the penalty at your bike rack spot in T2.   Well, I figured if I am going to have 2 or 4 minutes taken off, I better ride fast while I can. 

On the 18 mile southern route back on Blue Star Highway, there was frequent traffic.   In some spots, it is 2 lanes, so we had the shoulder, and vehicles would take the left lane, so you could use a bit of the right lane.  But within 10 miles of Benton Harbor, it is 1 lane, so you better stay on the shoulder as much as possible.   One guy passed me wide, using one-third of the traffic lane, and he did not get back on the shoulder, even when he was 10 bike lengths ahead of me.  A truck was approaching, and I yelled “Car Back”   he got over quickly just as the truck got to within 1 foot of him at 60 mph.   A minute later, a woman passing me on the hill said “You saved that guy’s ass”.   A few minutes later, I gave her a “Car Back!” as she was passing another rider on a hill, and getting close to traffic.           

In the last five miles of the bike course, that is a tough climb.  People spray painted “OMG!” And “Ugh Hill” on it.   Then there is a nice downhill glide as you get close to the turn into the lakefront park.  There a lots of people spilling out on the sidewalk close to the road, and even more traffic.  With a sharp right turn from the road onto a bike path/sidewalk, you have to slow down.  My least favorite part of steelhead is that the turn right by the beach, surrounded by fencing, people hanging very close to a narrow path that has sand drifting on it, then a couple hundred yards of a wooden boardwalk.  In the last half mile/half mile of the bike, I try to downshift, so my legs are spinning more like they would for running, so I was going a little slower, but still    
I ride a Giant Defy, which I like overall, but I discovered a problem with the rear hub while riding RAGBRAI 2 years ago the first season I owned it.  On long downhills, I could not gain, let alone, maintain speed, I would expect coasting in an aero position. On the steepest hills, when other people lighter than me were topping 40 mph without pedaling, my bike shimmied and shook violently when I hit the low 30’s, so I would have to feather the brakes.  Multiple bike dealers supporting RAGBRAI could not find any problem, and the shop where I bought in Chicago it shrugged their shoulders and wiped their hands of it.  Last year for Steelhead, Rich K lent me some Shimano C50’s, so their lighter weight and good hubs helped me.  This year, Laura bought me some Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels for my birthday, and they have been rolling much better.   When I rode the Steelhead course for practice last year, I got a flat - one of FOUR F-ING FLATS that I got in 10 days!  So I bought GatorSkin tires and retaped the rims.  No flats since -  but I got to thinking last month, that those sturdier tires probably slowed me down a little bit.  So I looked into tires, and read some about rolling resistance.  I did not want to go totally tubeless,  but I liked the reviews I read of the Continental 4000, and the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO.  Performance Bike had the Vittorias 23 mms for one-third off the list price, so I got a set, and latex tubes.  I did feel like I was tempting fate - Laura had gotten a flat in the Lake Zurich Tri, but she had ridden over a big piece of glass, which will pierce a Gatorskin too.   Overall, I could feel less resistance, on most of the course; good handling on corners, but maybe a little rougher on the chip and tar roads – I will have to play with the pressure – I was about 120-125.  My bike training was not as good this year as it was last year, so with a stronger wind, I have to give some credit to the rims and tires for shaving a couple minutes off my bike time:  

I was happy with them, but I will keep the GatorSkins on for training rides.   Now, my wife who always used to brake on the corners, wants these kind of tires, too – so maybe I will lend them to her when she rides for our Duathlon team – RunForYourWife.  
Bike Time: 2:53:00 (2012 -2:55:47)      

T2: Half Full
When I got to T2, I saw an official that looked like the one on the motorcycle, but maybe that was a coincidence.   She seemed to be seeking out athletes to cite.   She did not say anything to me, and I got my bike racked, got my running shoes, race bib and cap.  I did not see anyone there to slap on sunscreen, so I just used a sunscreen stick on my race.   Last year in T2, I waited a long time waiting for a bathroom.  This year, I figured if I had to, I would stop on the run course (which I did not need to).  So that cut my Transition Two time by more than half from last year.  
T2:  4:00  (2012-8:58)  

Run:  Legs of Steel
As I left transition, I was feeling more than ‘heavy legs’ going into the run.  Everything suddenly felt depleted.  I was probably at an 8:15 pace at first, but it felt much slower.  I was buoyed by hearing Laura’s cheering a few hundred yards out.  I actually heard her before I noticed Barb Shoemaker with her omnipresent camera halfway between me and Laura.  There were also teenage kids with – oh, Deb Murphy and the teenaged Murphy twins.  I thought, so nice of those kids to cheer me on with such enthusiasm.  Then I realized that their Dad was right behind me.  Good for Mike – he stepped up his running with a sub 4 hour marathon this spring, and combining that with his strong swimming, I was not that surprised to see him.  I wished I could have done the run with him, but I knew right then that it would be different than my debut half –IM last year.  We talked for the first half mile, but once we started going up that hill, Mike kept going, and I slowed down.  I hoped I would not see him again, because I knew I would not be able to step up my pace, but the only way I would catch him would be if he blew up on the run, and I did not want that.   That first mile, I felt like I had just hit the wall around mile 20 of a marathon. 

I had taken 200-300 calories per hour on the bike, with a Gu at about 3 miles to go on the bike. I suspected lack of nutrition, so I had another one as I walked through the first water stop on the run.   The pace was okay for a few miles, but the lower speed on the hills and walking all but 2 of the water stops really slowed me down.  I had done some tough long runs lately with John Molchin; fast pace, as many hills as we can get around Mokena and New Lenox, but only 11-12 miles.  I don’t know if I had even run 13 miles since Steelhead last year.  I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus in December, and I did not have a spring marathon for the first time in 5 years.  

One advantage was knowing the course -  I knew the curves in the roads to cut the tangents – where the Whirlpool campus trail was torn up, I switched to grass.   But that first loop was HARD for me.   I have 20+ marathons and half-marathons combined, and there was only one other time where it crossed my mind – “I might not make this/I don’t want to keep going. “  The first time was in the Buffalo Marathon about mile 14 – I wished I had just stopped at where the half-marathon ended.  This time, it was only at mile 5, after I had climbed (for the first time) the REALLLY LOOONG hill that brings you out to Blue Star Highway.   At first, I thought – “I am not even halfway through this – in Buffalo, at least I was 60% done.  But then I thought -  “In Buffalo, I had 12 more miles to go – now I only have 8.”

At the water stop on Blue Star Highway, there was a 61 year old woman who had been leapfrogging me throughout the run course.  I saw her take a gel, and I figured I would get one, too – but I was just near the last volunteer- when she took the another gel – the Last One!  I said something jokingly, and she happily gave me that one.  We were talking as we  came to the turn off for the second loop.  Barb was there taking pictures, and Laura was giving me big cheers.  I mentioned to the other runner that that was my real energy boost, and she said “Yeah, I saw you two making out earlier on the beach.”  So, she must have been right behind me coming out of the swim, and saw me kiss Laura.

The second loop did not get drastically worse that the first, and knowing that I did not have to go through it again helped my focus.   Every third stop, I had more of the awful Ironman Perform, to make sure I did not cramp up, and I think I had 3 Gus total, and lots of water, even though it was not too hot..
My left knee is one that had surgery, but a few times, my right knee felt like it was going to ‘buckle’, and have my leg fall out from under me.   I came to the long hill before Blue Star Highway, and I considered walking it to save energy for the last two miles.   But, there was a chipper, young guy asking people he ran next to – “Where would you rather be – here, or the office?”   I told him – “Here - the office can wait till tomorrow.”  He said he took the day off, because it was his first half.   He was 24, or 26, and when we made the 180 degree turn for the hill, I cut the corner tight, caught back up to him, and trudged up the hill – slow, but not walking.   I walked halfway through the water stop on Blue Star Highway, hydrated, and thanked the ladies there for being at one of the worst places to hand out water – a highway.  I cringed in fear for some kids handing out water from the right lane with their backs to traffic . I tell them, please, stay on the grass, we will reach over with our left hands.   I saw Barb Shoemaker at the split to get to the finish, and she told me Laura had gone on to the finish.   With less than 2 miles to go, I knew it would take less than an 8 minute pace to break six hours.  In other half marathons and triathlons, I could pull that off at the finish, if not most of the race- but today,  I couldn’t see it.   I cruised through the last water stop without stopping.  I was going faster than previous miles, but I wasn’t gaining on other runners.  

In the last mile, Higman Hill drops so precipitously, if you let gravity take over, you are almost out of control. The increase in speed is almost not worth the pounding and risk of injury – but I tried to take advantage of it. There is a sharp right turn going back toward the lake, and you start to see a lot of spectators around. 

Going back under Blue Star Highway, I heard some cheering that I though was Laura.  It turns out it was a couple of college age girls.  (It took two of them to match her volume!).  Then,  100 yards past them, Laura’s voice carried in on the lake breeze-  “Come on Love!”    I yelled back at her, and told her to come pick me up off the ground at the finish.    My watch beeped for 13 miles as I was running the last straightaway along the beach.  Chipper 24 year old dude was in front of me, waving to the fans,  I surged to catch him.  The clock said 6:11:55.  There were about a  hundred yards to go.   I was not getting the usual adrenaline surge of the finish line, if I was pumping my arms, they did not seem to help.  I have had some strong finishes : a 1:30 quarter mile in Green bay to qualify for Boston with less than 20 seconds to spare;  beating a friend  4 years younger than me by five steps in the Palos  Turkey Trot, to snatch 3rd place in our age group away from him. (In Green Bay, I collapsed – in the Turkey trot,  I almost puked after the finish.)  In those races, and in Steelhead 2012,  I felt great 80%-90% of the time, and was in pain 10-20%.  Today, it was the reverse. 

There were two other people next to Chipper Young Dude, they were taking up the middle 75% of the chute.  If I could have, I would have plowed through them -  I saw the clock go to 6:12, maybe and 3 seconds.   I gave the best kick I had – I would be less than a minute slower than last year.  I did not collapse after the finish, but I think a few of the volunteers wondered if I would.  In all the 7 triathlons I have done, in T2, I always think, or even say out loud  - “Now comes the fun part!”.  Today, the run ,overall,  was not fun.  I had some smiles and enjoyable moments during it, and those moments, and the muscle memory of all the other time I had raced 13.1 or 26.2 miles got me through the pain of the other miles.  I guess it was karma teaching me a lesson.    My approach to running changed this last year, with my knee surgery – I was prepared for the slower times, but not for the less enjoyable experience.  It gave me a little taste of what the shirts people wear that say ‘Running Sucks’.    I don’t feel that way, but I understand it.    But when I do my next Half-ironman, I will be sure the run doesn't suck just because I did not follow a training plan.
Run Time: 2:02:13  (2012 – 1:53:27) 
Total Time: 6:00:07  (2012 – 5:59:19)


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?