Saturday, January 2, 2010

Run Less, Run Faster

In Winter of 2005, I trained for my first half-marathon. I used the Hal Higdon program, and I ran just under 1:45 in the Valporaiso Indiana half marathon. This gained me a preferred start in the Chicago Marathon, which I was pleased with. I continued to use the Hal Higdon marathon training programs running 2 per year. Within a year, I cut 32 minutes off my time in Chicago (from 4:07 to 3:35) , and was within 5 minutes of qualifying for Boston. So I tried the Pete Pfitzinger Advanced Marathon program, and I was running 55 miles per week at a peak. I was doing okay, but I ran a poor race in Buffalo, and was back just up above 4 hours.

 
Then my wife bought me the book - "Run Less-Run Faster". It was developed by the Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (F.I.R.S.T.) http://www.furman.edu/first/ at Furman University.

 
In my next marathon, I ran a 3:30:34, and qualified for Boston. Since then, I have
used the program for 3 other marathons, including Boston 2009, and my PR of 3:29:46 in Chicago 2009 to requalify to run Boston this spring.
Each week, I run a tempo run, long run and speed work, with 2-3 other days of NON-WEIGHT-BEARING cross-training (swimming or cycling).

 
While I am very happy to have PR'ed twice, and will run Boston for the second year in a row; I think the moderate time demands of this program is a good balance, and helps avoid injury (my plantar fascitis has kept under control).
The book is great, and if your budget allows I recommend adding it to your running library.
Here are links to copies of several of the goal times  (e.g. 3:20, 3:30, 3:35, 3:40, 3:45).
The First plans are 16 week programs. 
Be sure to look at the "Entrance Exam" requirements on the first page of each PDF file.  For example, 3:30 is a realistic marathon goal IF you have run one or more of the following say in last 18 months:
  • 5k in 21:35
  • 10K in 45:10
  • Half marathon in 1:40
The half-marathon is the best indicator.  If you are at that level, then you see if you can Key Run workouts  (one each fron #1, #2, #3 ) all within 1 week.
If you have any questions about this program, email me .mailto:.Tom_Nolan@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?